I have a design that is nearly finished for the site, I’m trying to make it mobile responsive, too. A couple months too late for my self challenge, but oh well.
Recently though, I’ve noticed that my site is running like utter crap, so I’ve spent the better part of this weekend trying to nail down exactly what it is. I’ve deleted plugins I tried out and didn’t use, deleted some that I thought may be contributing to the problem, after replacing them with something different, installed a caching plugin… and my site is still being a snot. I can’t quite blame WP Multisite, since I have another blog on a different domain that is having the same issue, and that one is not running multisite.
For that one it uses NextGen Gallery, which has a ton of photos in it, so I’m currently moving those to Flikr and then will delete them and that plugin from my site and see if anything improves after that. I installed a plugin on both called P3 Plugin Profiler, which loads several pages from your site and times how long each page takes to load, and gauges which plugins impact it the most… For that site, it was the gallery plugin taking up the most load time, which is why I’m working on getting rid of it. If that works, I may try moving this site OFF of Multisite and see how it fairs… it will mean that I will have to do a couple of separate installs of WP to load up and test client pages, but if that is what I have to do and multiple copies of WP runs better than one install of multisite, so be it. I am just tired of constantly maxing out the CPU and Memory for those sites at my host. I’m actually surprised they haven’t tried shutting them down yet.
So, if you visit here and experience some slowness, or even timeouts on some page loads, I apologize for the inconvenience. Hopefully I’ll figure out what is going on and get it under control soon without going too crazy. And maybe then I can get my new design loaded… I sort of wanted to wait until I got the loading problems solved before releasing the design. My original plan for the weekend was to finish wrapping up the coding on my design so that I could publish it, but my site apparently had other plans for me.