Today I got the bright idea to finally get SSL working here. I got it partially working, but there were still some older plugins pulling old data, mostly images, that the browsers weren’t liking to allow me to get that little green lock. Mostly things like “your site is https, but the image is at an http site, so this is not allowed” blah blah blah.
So I tracked down via the browser console, which plugins were the culprits. There were two: Simple Social Icons, and Media Grid.
The first one hasn’t been updated in over a year, and in fact I think it might have been removed from WP’s plugin repository though I’m not 100% sure. Since that just links to a few things like my FB page and Twitter, I figure that should be fairly easy to replicate later in another way but without a plugin. No big deal, so I deactivated it. One less thing flagging in the console.
The next one, Media Grid, turned out to be pretty out of date. Oops. So I located the place that I bought it from, downloaded a fresh copy, removed the old one and installed the new one, and… well, I get the green lock indicating my site is secure now, but I get an added bonus: my portfolio page is broken. Oh, and so is my ability to add *any* images to anything anymore – even to this post. *bangs head on desk* If I deactivate it, my regular Media stuff works again. Grrrr. This is probably going to take some deep digging to fix it, most likely involving going back through each entry, copying out (or exporting, if possible), the content that I had in each one, and note the images I used and in which order they displayed. Next, I’ll delete each entry, deactivate and delete the plugin, and maybe even go so far as to go into the database to make sure the plugin’s data has been completely wiped. After that I’ll think about reinstalling it and seeing if it interferes with things anymore, and hope it doesn’t.
Wish me luck I guess. I have a feeling I’ll probably need it.
Edited to add – so I reactivated it again, and it seems to display ok on my portfolio page now (no longer linked in my nav at the moment), but it is still breaking the media buttons in all pages/posts. A brief flicker of hope, then dashed. Ah well. I better get started on exporting the data for those and proceed with the steps I outlined previously…
Second edit (5/28/18) – I run this site on WP multi-site, and while the previous iteration of Media Grid did not seem to require a ‘network activate’ for the plugin to work, the newest version does. I did that and all the issues I had went away. Hooray for not having to delete and purge things!